At Greater Peterborough University Technical College, we are proud of the enrichment programmes we deliver. We give every student the chance to try many different activities, whether it be for a future career, for personal enjoyment or just to try something different.
At the UTC we offer the chance to become part of the Sea Cadet Experience. Find more information about the Sea Cadet Experience in the documents attached at the bottom of this page.
As a satellite division of the Peterborough Sea Cadets Corps (TS Gildenburgh) so are able to offer a wide-reaching experience, not just within school time but within the wider corp. There is a yearly program of activities such as weekends away to Portsmouth staying on a navy base and sleeping on a commissioned warship HMS Bristol, training courses that run at weekends or during the week in the holidays these courses range from waterborne courses i.e. sailing, kayaking to seamanship to galley cooking.
We also offer local courses on board at our Unit in Peterborough, these can vary from a shooting or drill weekend, or maybe you are musical and would like to get involved with the unit band.
This year’s GPUTC cadet program includes
- New entry training and enrolment into the Sea Cadets,
- Advancement for those that are already within th e SCC
- Registration and completion of CVQO ILM Level 2 Young Leaders Award (2 day course open to cadets aged 14 to 15.6months)
- Emergency First Aid at Work (1 day course)
- British rowing competent crew (2 day/weekend) to Rowing Coxswain (4 day course)
- Bespoke week experiencing life at HMS Raleigh (Sunday to Friday)
- Engagement with Peterborough Sea Cadets for rank based progression training (evenings and weekends)
- Access to the wider Sea Cadet experience via our local, regional, national and offshore courses – See course posters
- Level 1 and Level 2 water-based training at Thrapston; sailing, windsurfing, powerboating and paddle sport
- 30 hours of boating