Skip to content ↓
  • slideshow image

Safeguarding for Parents

The Greater Peterborough UTC recognises its responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of our students whilst in our care. It is extremely important to support our students to develop the skills necessary to stay safe from abuse and to know whom to seek help from when in need.

Though we educate our young people on whom to turn to in times of need, we know it is equally important to educate our parents of our young people in who to turn to. This page signposts you to those people and or services who may be able to assist. Information will be updated as and when new information and resources are provided. If there is a particular topic you would like us to address, please get in contact with our safeguarding team.

County Lines

County lines is a term used for organised illegal drug-dealing networks. Children and young people are recruited as ‘runners’ to transport drugs and money out of their hometowns and cities into other places in the UK, so that the criminals behind the drug trafficking are less visible and less likely to be detected. This is criminal exploitation. Children as young as 11 years old may be recruited, sometimes through the use of social media or by promises of money or items such as trainers, phones or makeup.

Further information for parents can be found at this site.

Home Office GuidanceDownload

What is County Lines? – a useful video.


What to do if your child goes missing

One of the most frequent indicators of child exploitation is your child going missing. It is therefore important that you report your child missing to the police every time they go missing, even if it is occurring on a daily basis.

You can report your child missing by visiting your local police station, or over the phone by dialling 101, which automatically transfers you to your local police. You can also find your local police station online. If you know that your child is in immediate danger and threatened with violence, injury or loss of life, then call 999.

It is commonly thought that you must wait 24 hours before reporting somebody missing, but this is not true. You can make a report to the police as soon as you have done as much as possible to locate your child and that you consider them to be missing. There is no minimum waiting time. It may sound like common sense, but before contacting the police, check to see if they have left you or another household member a message on your phone voicemail, text message or social media. It may be useful to have written notes about your child to hand when you are reporting your child missing.

This leaflet from The Children’s Society has further information.


Mental Health

Mental health problems affect about 1 in 10 children and young people. They include depression, anxiety and conduct disorder, and are often a direct response to what is happening in their lives.

Things that can help keep children and young people mentally well include:

  • being in good physical health, eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise
  • having time and the freedom to play, indoors and outdoors
  • being part of a family that gets along well most of the time
  • going to a school that looks after the wellbeing of all its pupils
  • taking part in local activities for young people.

SSS have identified that looking after your own mental health and wellbeing can have a hugely positive impact on your child’s mental health and wellbeing. There are simple ways to help you do this. Follow this link to discover 10 top tips designed to offer practical advice on how parents can safeguard their mental health and promote their wellbeing:

There are a wide range of useful sites and resources available and this NHS page offers an A-Z list.

We also recommend






Self-harm is when somebody intentionally damages or injures their body.

Some of the reasons that people may self-harm include:

  • expressing or coping with emotional distress
  • trying to feel in control
  • a way of punishing themselves
  • relieving unbearable tension
  • a cry for help
  • a response to intrusive thoughts

Self-harm may be linked to bad experiences that are happening now, or in the past. But sometimes the reason is unknown.

The reasons can also change over time and will not be the same for everybody.

There are a number of sites that offer advice and support

NHS – Why People Self-Harm

MIND – Information about Self-Harm

Young Minds – Self-Harm

NSPCC – Self-Harm

We also have some useful booklets for students and parents




Domestic Abuse

As well as teaching students about the nature and importance of healthy relationships we are aware that adults may also require support and signposting to services. Within school the Safeguarding Team are able to help with any specific issues and there are a number of local and national sources of support.

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline continues to operate 24/7 on 0808 2000 247.

There is a form you can complete online and they will call you back at a safe time

Women’s Aid online chat:

Men’s Advice line, for male victims:

Local Services

Cambridge City/East Cambs/South Cambs 01223 361214

Fenland/Hunts/Peterborough 07787 255821

For support around sexual violence – National Rape Crisis is still available and they also have online chat